The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and the Boulder Junction Public Library announced a library program to make state park and forest vehicle admission day passes available to library card holders at the Boulder Junction Public Library.
Starting after May 1st, library card holders at over 200 libraries across Wisconsin can check out a pass for free admission for one vehicle at any state park, forest, or recreation area where admission is required. The program ends December 31, 2023. There are some program rules:
- You must have a valid library card to receive a state park pass.
- One pass per person/family per year.
- You must have a Wisconsin license plate to use the pass at a state park.
- You must have a date or 3-day date range in mind before receiving a pass, for example the date of 05/15/23 or the date range of 05/15/23 to 5/17/23. Passes will not be handed out without a date.
- Please note that these are special event passes which say, “One Hour Admission Receipt,” but for purposes of this program, they are valid for an entire day.
- The library has a limited supply of passes and may run out before 12/31/23.
The program, Check Out Wisconsin’s State Parks At Your Library, is a collaborative effort between the DNR, Wisconsin Library Association’s Wisconsin Association of Public Libraries, Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, and the C.D. Besadny Conservation Fund from the Natural Resources Foundation of Wisconsin.
Along with the day pass, the cardholder will receive informational resources including state park system materials, a Wisconsin Explorer Activity Sheet, stickers, accessibility information and more. The goal of the program is to expand access to the Wisconsin state park system to new park visitors.
The DNR plans to continue the program in 2024, based on participant feedback and funding. Each pass includes a welcome letter with a survey link so the DNR can gather information about who used the passes and how they enjoyed their park experience. Participants who complete the survey after using the pass will be eligible to win one of ten 2024 annual state park and forest vehicle admission stickers paid for by the Friends of Wisconsin State Parks.
Learn more about the Boulder Junction Public Library and how to get a library card at boulderjunction.wislib.org or by calling 715-385-2050. For more information about the Check Out Wisconsin State Parks At Your Library program, go to https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/parks/outwigo.